Friday, July 9, 2010

Formula Friday #1 Easel Card


Today I'll share with you my first easel card. I've seen many of these cards, but never attempted making them before. This was my first project in my new stamping/scrapping room. Most of the easel cards that I've seen use brads, or bulky flowers or popped pieces as the "stopper" for the card to stand. This card simply uses a few extra layers of paper. The overall finished card size is A2, (4 1/4 x 5 1/2"). Here is the recipe for my card. (I used all Stampin Up! papers and stamps).

Supplies:
  • cardstock for base and layers + stamped image cardstock (I used Whisper White, Melon Mambo, Crushed Curry, & Rich Razzleberry)
  • pattern paper (I used Razzleberry Lemonade DSP)
  • coordinating ribbon (I used Pumpkin Pie 1/4" grosgrain)
  • edge punches (I used Eyelet Border)
  • desired embellishments (I used the retired 3 flower punch from Stampin Up! and flat backed pearl minis--not from Stampin Up!)
  • desired stamps and stamp pads (Stamps are from Elements of Style and Delight in Life, Stamp pads used: Color Box Yellow Citrus, VersaColor Opera Pink, and Stampin Up! Basic Black and the distressing along the edge of the stamped image was VersaColor Brown).

Instructions:

  1. Cut an 8 1/2 x 11" piece of cardstock into two 4 1/4 x 11" ( I used Melon Mambo)
  2. Cut one of the pieces from step one in half (4 1/4 to 5 1/2") and set aside--this will become the front of your card
  3. Fold the remaining piece from step one in half to make a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 card with the fold on the top
  4. Fold the front piece in half (fold the bottom of the front towards the top fold). This is the piece to which you will adhere the piece from step 2
  5. Lay the folded piece of cardstock with the longest side down on the table, and the fold of the "Short" side pointing towards you.
  6. Place adhesive on this "Short" folded side of paper
  7. Place the top of cardstock from step 2 on top of the adhesive
  8. Decorate the front and inside of your card as desired.
  9. Place "Stopper" where you want your card to stand--I used three layers of cardstock stacked. You can choose to use anything you'd like that will lift off the base enough to "Catch" the bottom of the card front.
Variations:
You can make these cards any size that you like. Just remember to fold the base in half and you're only limited by your imagination.

There is a great tutorial also available on SplitCoastStampers (SCS) with a video to watch. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/easelcard/


Show me what you come up with and let me know if you have questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment